21 February 2010

Learning Arabic and 'Waj'

From my perspective, it seems to me that some aspects of Arab culture revolve around the word “face.” I gather, for example, saving face is very important in Arab society. Interestingly, the word for prestige is wajaha, which comes from the root word, waj, or face.


All that being said, in all honesty my Arabic is very weak and I am not as serious a student of the language as I should be. This means I really shouldn’t be surfing Arabic websites as I often haven’t a clue about the words I am looking at – especially commands.


Nevertheless, while on Twitter I saw an Arab woman who writing in English and Arabic (that's helpful!) mentioned using the site www.wajhy.com to create an avatar. Wajhy means my face.


Naturally I had to check out the site and I think I may have learned new words in Arabic, although I’m still not sure how I reached a final product! Trying to design an avatar for friends was a lot of fun. However, more fun was in store with my own avatar design. Well she has deep red lips. I had that choice or gray! Her hair is supposed to be a light color which is not white or gray! Sigh! Blonde is not an acceptable hair color yet but thanks anyway, wajhy.com!